Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Article Review - Learning From Text by David L. Edyburn

Learning From Text 


I really connected with this article from the first paragraph. For the past couple of years I have been exclusively in a primary to grade three setting, teaching students how to read. Through the Early Literacy Intervention program and Reading Recovery. The majority of my experience has been teaching student how to read rather than reading to learn.




Since I am teacher in a small school, I often see the same students multiple years. They say that students’ ability to read at the end of grade one is one of the biggest predictors of academic success though their schooling years.   My role is to provide that remediation support to try to build on their literacy skills where they can be successful in class. I have often thought, should the remediation support that I am providing to a student be changed to compensatory support. When it does the balance of support starts to skew away from remediation. In the meantime, the student is still struggling to meet the outcomes because of their difficulties with reading. Frustration and behaviours starts to develop and then what once was a positive learning experience becomes a negative. The article suggest that when remediation does not work compensatory strategies need to be put in place. Remediation and compensatory support, should be provided in unison. This I believe would negate some of the students frustration and negative outlook toward reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment