Monday, May 8, 2017

Day 2 - The Day I was the Floating Head in Class



Today's class was a unique and enriching experience for me. I was able to see first-hand how assistive technology can be utilized to accommodate students' specific needs. In this case it was my inability to attend class because of a medical issue. The inability to attend class did not disrupt my learning because assistive technology lent itself to solve the problem. I attended class in the comfort of my own home via Facetime. The technology surpassed my expectations of how it would work for the duration of the 6 hour class. Leading into the class I envisioned difficulties occurring because of poor wi-fi connections or visual and audio issues. To my surprise, none of these issues presented themselves. Leading into the class, I had a little anxiety. I was worried about how I would participate and how I would present my assignment. Like anything new, there usually some uncertainty. I was able to successfully engage and present my app-smashing definitions.

Reflecting on how the assistive technology that I used could be transferred to schools and classes brought to light a lot of examples. Unfortunately many students face serious medical issues that prevent them from attending classes. Previously when you missed class all you could do was to try and get the notes from a classmate to try and catch up. Or get the teacher to send home a work package of materials to complete independently. While this may be sufficient for some students, for others it really doesn't support their learning. Being able to use a technology like Facetime or Skype allow that student to participate and be an active learner. They are able to ask questions and participate in discussions to enhance their learning that wouldn't occur without this assistive technology. While this was a one day occurrence for me, the AT would be trans-formative for others who are unable to attend class.

2 comments:

  1. It was really difficult to remember to include you while you were a floating head. Every group had to be reminded to talk to you, and at one point I think Barbara forgot you were still there! haha.

    Technology is really a wonderful thing. You were able to participate in our class from the comfort of your home. You felt anxious, but technology found a way to include you. It's a lesson to take into our classrooms. What Assistive Technology can we find to help our students feel included and to ease their anxiety?

    Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate this post. I am working with many students who miss a lot of time due to a variety of issues that prevent them from attending school on a regular basis. There are definitely benefits for students to have the opportunity to learn and participate in class while not actually there. At my school, many of the teachers use Google classroom, which is a great way to acquire any paperwork that was missed, but students are invariably missing the nuances of being in class (i.e. reminders of due dates, explanations of notes, helpful questions asked by their peers, and the overall feeling of community when being part of a class). I know that not every student has access to technology that would allow them to participate this way, but surely the board would be able to provide an iPad/laptop those governing education would be able to provide this access to students who require it. It is sad to see the number of students, who are very capable, dealing with things that prevent them from physically entering a school.

    Thank you for sharing this post. Hope you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete